NEC DISPLAY SOLUTIONS
ReadMe Information for Windows
Version 1.2.00 - build 130904 - September 4 2013
MultiProfiler is designed as a companion to NEC MultiSync PA and new P Series monitors. It provides complete control over the powerful and sophisticated technology in these models in an easy-to-use application.
NEC MultiSync PA Series monitors feature a custom-designed color processor called the SpectraView Engine. This sophisticated processor, combined with internal luminance, temperature and time monitoring of the monitor, and individual characterization and calibration of each unit during production, results in an unparalleled level of color control, accuracy and stability.
The wide color gamut and high-contrast LCD panel used on the monitor, coupled with the SpectraView Engine, provide the utmost in versatility; from the ability to accurately emulate colorspaces such as AdobeRGB and sRGB, to performing printer output emulations using ICC Profiles and internal 3D Look Up Tables.
MultiProfiler uses a two-way communications link with the display monitor to perform adjustments. Two different methods of communications are possible:
- DDC/CI (Display Data Channel - Command Interface) - Communicates via the video graphics adapter and normal video cable. No extra cables are necessary. Support is required in the video graphics display driver in order to provide this functionality. This communications link is an industry standard developed by VESA (Video Electronics Standards Association).
- USB (Universal Serial Bus) - Communicates with the display via a USB connection from the host PC. A USB cable must be connected between the host PC and one of the upstream USB ports on the display. The display will also function as a USB hub.
MultiProfiler will automatically default to using the USB connection, if available, when it is first run. To switch between USB and DDC/CI communication links, click the Display Configuration icon (next to the display list at the bottom of the main window), and then select the desired connection method from the list of monitors.
The MultiProfiler application is accessed from the Windows Start menu > NEC Display Solutions > MultiProfiler.
New Display Firmware
New firmware for the following display models is available which adds some functionality improvements.
Navigate to the following page for more information:
Video Graphics Adapter control panel "color controls':
- Some video drivers install control panels that provide some color controls such as gamma, brightness, contrast and even Video Media playback modes. These controls can interfere with the displayed colors and should never be adjusted. Be sure the settings for these controls are reset to the "default" settings.
No communications or communications error when using a DisplayPort video connection:
- In some cases MultiProfiler is not able to correctly communicate with the monitor if it is connected to the host PC using a DisplayPort video connection. Try connecting a USB cable between one of the upstream ports on the monitor and the host PC. In the Display Configuration dialog, select the USB connection to the display. USB will be used instead of DDC/CI to communicate with the monitor. Video will continue to be sent over the DisplayPort cable.
MultiSync PA231W, P232W, P241W and P242W:
- The color gamut of the display is not wide color gamut, and is closer to sRGB.
For this reason, certain preset color gamuts such as AdobeRGB and DCI are not available, since they far exceed the color gamut of the display. Although MultiProfiler will allow the Picture Mode settings to be modified to include large color gamuts, keep in mind that the actual color gamut of the display is smaller, and will not be able to display colors outside of this gamut.
MultiSync PA231W, P232W and P242W:
- The display does not have an internal luminance stabilization circuit. It is therefore not able to automatically set and maintain the luminance at an absolute value.
For this reason, the Brightness and Black Level controls are shown as a percentage values within MultiProfiler.
The DICOM mode is called DICOM Sim (simulation) because the lack of an absolute level for Brightness and Black Level means approximate values are used. True DICOM requires absolute values for Brightness and Black Level in order to create a very accurate response curve.
Supported Video Graphics Card Drivers
It is normally necessary to install the latest drivers for the video graphics adapter card. The video drivers included "in the box" with Windows will need to be updated with the full video driver packages available from the video graphics adapter card vendor.
Note: All PA series models and the P232W and P241W models feature using an optional USB connection to the display for communicating, instead of using DDC/CI. This can be used in cases where the video graphics adapter is not supported. A USB cable must be connected between the host PC and one of the upstream USB ports on the display. The display will also function as a USB hub.
Please refer to the following table for DDC/CI support:
|Video Card Manufacturer||Windows XP / 2000||Windows XP x64||Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 (32 bit)||Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 (x64)|
|ATI (Radeon and FirgeGL)||Supported||Supported||Supported||Supported|
|Matrox (M series)||Supported||Supported||Supported||Supported|
|Matrox (P650, medical series and newer)||Supported||Supported||Supported (some may require XDDM video drivers)||Supported (some may require XDDM video drivers)|
|Matrox (older chipsets: G400, G450, G550 etc.)||Unsupported||Unsupported||Unsupported||Unsupported|
|Intel||Most chipsets supported.||Most chipsets supported.||Most chipsets supported.||Most chipsets supported.|
|S3 Chrome S20 and newer||Supported in S3 drivers from v22.214.171.1241||Unsupported||Supported in S3 drivers from v126.96.36.1992||Supported in S3 drivers from v188.8.131.522|
Supported Operating Systems
MultiProfiler is supported on 32 and 64 bit versions of Microsoft Windows XP (Home and Professional editions), Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.
Installing MultiProfiler requires an account with administrator privileges.
Supported Display Monitors
MultiProfiler supports the following NEC display monitor models:
- NEC P232W
- NEC P241W
- NEC P242W
- NEC PA231W
- NEC PA241W
- NEC PA242W
- NEC PA271W
- NEC PA272W
- NEC PA301W
- NEC PA302W
- NEC MD301C4
Video Graphics Adapter and Chipset manufacturers web links
You can obtain the latest drivers for your video graphics adapter card or chipset directly from the manufacturer.
The following are links to some of the manufacturers that currently support DDC/CI:
Support and Troubleshooting
If you are having problems using MultiProfiler, please check the Troubleshooting and Frequently Asked Questions sections of the MultiProfiler User's Guide.
Additional help is available at the NEC DISPLAY SOLUTIONS MultiProfiler support page.
"No Communications" or "Unable to communicate with display" error:
If using DDC/CI:
- Confirm that your video graphics adapter and driver support DDC/CI
- Confirm that you have installed the latest video drivers for your video graphics adapter
- Confirm that DDC/CI is set to "ENABLED" on Tab 8 of the Advanced On Screen Display controls
If using USB:
- Confirm that the correct Upstream port is currently selected on the TOOLS > USB SELECTION menu on the On Screen Display controls.
- Confirm that a USB 2.0 compatible cable is connected between the host PC and the display.
NEC DISPLAY SOLUTIONS welcomes your feedback on MultiProfiler. Please visit the NEC DISPLAY SOLUTIONS MultiProfiler support page and give us your comments.
V1.0.00: April 19 2010
- First release of MultiProfiler
V1.0.01: May 20 2010
- Fixed an issue that caused certain ICC Profiles to crash MultiProfiler when creating a Print Emulation.
- Improved application responsiveness when using multiple monitors.
- Fixed an issue that caused the list of panel icons to display incorrectly on some systems.
- Improved reliability of USB communications support.
V1.0.02: July 1 2010
- Added support for the MultiSync PA231W.
- Improved application responsiveness when adjusting some controls.
- Automatically disables ECO Mode and Auto Brightness for correct operation.
V1.0.03: November 15 2010
- Added support for the MultiSync PA301W.
- Fixed an issue that caused the gamma and white point to be reset each time the wizard is used.
V1.0.04: January 14 2011
- Added support for the MultiSync MD301C4.
V1.0.04 Rev 1: February 15 2011
- Fixed support for the MultiSync MD301C4 when using a 2560x1600 30Hz video timing.
V1.0.05: July 1 2011
- Added support for the MultiSync P241W.
- Added support for using DDC/CI with Intel "core graphics" on i3/i5/i7 platforms.
- Added support for using DDC/CI with Matrox M series cards.
- Added automatic detection of the USB connection to the display.
- Various minor bug fixes.
V1.0.05-1 build 110801: August 1 2011
- Fixed a bug that could cause a crash when clicking the "Edit" button in the Picture Mode panel.
V1.0.05-2 build 110928: September 28 2011
- Fixed another issue which could cause a crash when clicking the "Edit" button in the Picture Mode panel on certain Windows configurations.
- Fixed a bug that caused the white point to not be set correctly when using a Custom Printer Emulation and selecting a different memory location than the default.
V1.0.06: June 4 2012
- Added support for the MultiSync P232W.
- Added DDC/CI support for ATI Catalyst v12 video drivers.
- Improved monitor detection.
V1.1.00: July 20 2012
- Added support for 6 Axis Color Trim controls.
- Added Quick Edit color controls.
- Added Keyboard Shortcut functions.
V1.1.10: February 18 2013
- Added support for the MultiSync P242W.
V1.1.20: April 19 2013
- Added support for the MultiSync PA242W.
V1.2.00: September 4 2013
- Added support for the MultiSync PA272W and PA302W.
- Added new 'Quick Print Emulation' function.
- Added new Display Settings 'Import' and 'Export' function.
- Improved the speed of "re-synchronize" function.
- Various minor bug fixes and improvements.
This file and all of the MultiProfiler software is Copyright © 2010-13 NEC Display Solutions, Ltd.
Copyright © 2003-2006 - The International Color Consortium. All rights reserved. This product includes software developed by the The International Color Consortium (www.color.org).